2020년 09월 23일 수요일
뉴스홈 국제
Pompeo urges North Korea to return to dialogue

[서울=아시아뉴스통신] 레악카나기자 송고시간 2020-09-12 02:10

Mike Pompeo (R) travelled to Pyongyang four times last year. (Photo by: Getty Images)

[Asia News Communication = Reporter Reakkana] U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo renewed his call on North Korea to return to the negotiating table Thursday, arguing that full denuclearization is the best thing it can do for the country and its people.

In an interview with U.S. cable network Fox News, the secretary of state said North Korean leader Kim Jong-un understands the needs of his country. "We then hope we can one day again have a serious conversation to convince Chairman Kim that the best thing to do for the people of North Korea is to fully denuclearize and that will lead to a brighter future for the North Korean people," Pompeo said, according to a transcript of his interview released by the state department.

His call comes amid a prolonged hiatus in U.S.-North Korea dialogue that began soon after the second U.S.-North Korea summit ended without a deal in February 2019.Pompeo said the Trump-Kim meeting came to be realized after he found the North Korean leader to be willing to engage in negotiations. Pompeo said his mandate continues to include full denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula



 

[ 저작권자 © 아시아뉴스통신. 무단 전재 및 재배포금지]



제보전화 : 1644-3331    이기자의 다른뉴스보기
의견쓰기

댓글 작성을 위해 회원가입이 필요합니다.
회원가입 시 주민번호를 요구하지 않습니다.