2020년 10월 26일 월요일
뉴스홈 국제
South Korea to launch annual defense drill to deter North Korea

[서울=아시아뉴스통신] 레악카나기자 송고시간 2020-10-18 03:20

The Hoguk exercise, begins on Monday until Oct. 30 around the country, will involve the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps, and diverse programs will be staged.(Photo by=IANS/SocialNews XYZ Website)

[Asia News Communication = Reporter Reakkana] South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff said on Friday that an annual military exercise will start next week amid nuclear and missile threats from North Korea.

The Hoguk exercise, begins on Monday until Oct. 30 around the country, will involve the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps, and diverse programs will be staged, such as joint landing drills and those to defend northwestern islands in the Yellow Sea. "As an annual drill, the Hoguk exercise is defensive in nature, and focuses on maintaining our military readiness posture and to improve joint operations capabilities," the JCS said in a statement.


Thorough preventive measures against the new coronavirus and the African swine fever will be implemented, it said, adding that the scale and the overall plans would be similar to earlier ones. North Korea has often bristled at the drill, claiming the exercise is tantamount to an intrusion into the regime. Last week, the regime unveiled a new intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) and a new submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) during a massive military parade. The North has also been working to modernize its conventional weapons system, including short-range ballistic missiles that can target South Korea.



 

[ 저작권자 © 아시아뉴스통신. 무단 전재 및 재배포금지]



제보전화 : 1644-3331    이기자의 다른뉴스보기
의견쓰기

댓글 작성을 위해 회원가입이 필요합니다.
회원가입 시 주민번호를 요구하지 않습니다.