|A United Nations Security Council (UNSC) meeting on North Korea’s latest missile tests ended with no immediate action, despite US claims that the world body contemplated new measures. (Photo from farsnews)|
[Asia News Communication = Reporter Reakkana] The UN Security Council on Tuesday (Mar 30) met to discuss North Korea's latest missile launches but did not take any immediate action, however the United States said the world body was considering new measures, according to AFP.
No statement came from the Security Council or from the European nations after the half-hour, closed-door meeting, in contrast with a year ago when five European nations condemned earlier tests as "provocative." A diplomat said there were "concerns expressed by a majority of members" during Tuesday's meeting and renewed calls for denuclearisation, although no statement was planned.
North Korea had already denounced the meeting, which was called by Britain, Estonia, France, Ireland, and Norway. In a statement carried by the North's official KCNA news agency, senior foreign ministry official Jo Chol Su accused the Security Council of a "double standard" and said that countries around the world "are firing all kinds of projectiles." Last week, North Korea launched two weapons assessed by the United States and others to be short-range ballistic missiles, which it is banned from under Security Council resolutions. Meanwhile, Russia, which along with China enjoys cordial relations with Pyongyang, warned against any new sanctions on North Korea.