2021년 12월 09일 목요일
뉴스홈 국제
Japan boycotts joint press event with S. Korea, U.S. over Dokdo issue

[서울=아시아뉴스통신] 레악카나기자 송고시간 2021-11-19 02:31

The latest spat over Dokdo comes as Seoul-Tokyo relations have been at their lowest ebb since 2019 when Japan took economic steps believed to be aimed at retaliating against Seoul court decisions that ordered Japanese firms to pay compensation to Korean workers forced into free labor during the 1910-45 Japanese colonial rule of Korea. (File photo by=AP)

[Asia News = Reporter Reakkana] WASHINGTON: Japanese Vice Foreign Minister Takeo Mori refused to take part in a joint press conference with his South Korean and U.S. counterparts Wednesday, citing a recent visit by South Korea's top police official to Dokdo.

The joint press conference was originally set to follow their trilateral talks in Washington but was instead held alone by U.S. Deputy Secretary of State Wendy Sherman. "We agreed to the U.S., the host of the trilateral talks, announcing the outcome of the South Korea-U.S.-Japan vice-ministerial talks through a press conference by itself. It was because we recognized the importance of the South Korea-U.S.-Japan vice-ministerial discussions," South Korean Vice Foreign Minister Choi Jong-kun said while meeting with reporters in Washington. Previously, Sherman said what she called a bilateral difference between South Korea and Japan that was "unrelated to today's meeting" had led to the change in the format of the press event.

Dokdo is a set of South Korea-controlled islets in the East Sea. Tokyo often lays territorial claim to the islets, called Takeshima in Japan. The latest spat over Dokdo comes as Seoul-Tokyo relations have been at their lowest ebb since 2019. A South Korean official here said Seoul flatly dismissed Japan's latest protest against the visit by the head of the South Korean police to the South Korean islets.



 

[ 저작권자 © 아시아뉴스통신. 무단 전재 및 재배포금지]



제보전화 : 1644-3331    이기자의 다른뉴스보기
의견쓰기

댓글 작성을 위해 회원가입이 필요합니다.
회원가입 시 주민번호를 요구하지 않습니다.