|People walks on a street seen through the fence of a compound in lockdown during a Covid-19 coronavirus lockdown in the Jing'an district, in Shanghai on May 19, 2022. (Photo from todayonline website)|
[Asia News = Reporter Reakkana] SHANGHAI: Shanghai announced its first new COVID-19 cases outside quarantined areas in five days on Friday (May 20), triggering stricter curbs and mass testing in one district but plans to end a prolonged city-wide lockdown on Jun 1 appeared on the track, Reuters reported.
The commercial hub of 25 million found three new cases in the same family in Qingpu district. All had taken three doses of vaccine and their infections were discovered during regular testing, authorities said. The three had not left their district town over the past 14 days but had visited at least four places, including a supermarket, all of which were sealed off and were being disinfected, authorities said. The area's more than 200,000 people had been retested and all results were negative.
Other officials said steps in the gradual reopening of Shanghai were going ahead, with suburban parks due to open from Sunday. Other parks could open from June if they met certain conditions but leisure facilities in parks would remain closed. A plan to reopen four subway lines from Sunday also remains on track, the city government said. Shanghai has been allowing more people to leave their homes in recent days, with many residential compounds issuing a limited number of passes to dwellers for brief walks or trips to the local supermarket.